Is there any Indian who doesn’t know about great Mango Pickle ? This is the greatest recipe I ever learnt from my mom in law, of course she is a great cook and I need to learn a lot of recipes from her especially Hoilige and Midi Uppinakaayi( Tender Mango Pickle) etc. Its a quite time consuming recipe, but you will deffinetly feel great when its done. I prepared it twice. It has come out really well both the times. Try it out if you want to graduate as a Cook! Nah kidding .. Enjoy….
- 5 medium size raw Magoes cut into small cubes
- 4 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 1/2tsp black Pepper Corns(kaalumenasu)
- 1/2 tsp methi/Fenugreek seeds.
- 4-5 tsp red Chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- Dry roast the Mustardseeds and Cumin seeds until they start spluttering,black Pepper corns for 1-2 min and Fenugreek seeds until they become light brown.Roast all the spices separately, make sure spices do not burn.
- Allow to cool for 10 min then make fine powder out of it.
- Dry roast the salt for 3-4 mins
- Mix the cut Mango with spices, red Chilli powder and roasted salt( aproximately 4-5 tbs).
- Then transfer into a dry air tight jar.
- Keep tilting the jar once a day for 4-5 days.
- After 4-5 days temper the pickle with Mustard seeds and Asafoetida. Mix well.
- Adjust the salt if necessory.
Note:All the utensils using for the preparation should be well dried including hands. You can make the pickle spices in bulk and store in a air tight jar so that you do not have to dry roast all the spices every time.You can make Lemon pickle in the same way using same pickle spices.
Ready to serve 🙂